Canto: Online Vocal Competition
A competition for young & emerging artists
February 1 - April 1, 2019
February 1 - Competition begins
April 1 - Competition ends (all entries must be submitted by this date)
April 13 - Winner is announced
Fall 2019 - The 2nd Annual Canto: New Voices Concert
The winner will be chosen by three votes:
- Artistic Director & Composer Héctor Armienta
- Music Director Temirzhan Yerzhanov
- One public online vote
The public vote will be determined the number of votes on each video entry. Enter by submitting the form on Opera Cultura's Facebook page (link will be available starting Feb 1), then share your entry! Ask your family and friends to vote. The video with the most votes will win the public vote!
- A spot in the 2018 fall recital - NEW VOICES
- Air travel reimbursement of up to $500.00 and lodging for the recital if necessary.
- Contestant must be under 30 years of age.
- Contestant must be a singer who is currently studying at undergrad or grad school OR a singer who has performed with a small or midsize opera company (not a A or B Level opera company)
- Contestant must be a U.S. citizen or resident.
- A 1.5 minute video of an aria excerpt. Hispanic and/or Latino - American repertoire is preferred, but not required.
- Starting February 1, singers can submit entries through the form on Opera Cultura's Facebook page.
- Starting February 1, view the gallery of video entries and vote on Opera Cultura's Facebook page.
QUESTIONS? CONTACT: Tamara Liu, Administrator (Conusltant), firstname.lastname@example.org
Opera Cultura's online vocal competition, CANTO, will return for its second year in 2019! The competition will open on February 1 and end on April 1. Singers can enter by submitting video excerpts online during this time period. The winner will be announced on Friday, April 13.
The goal of the competition is to showcase emerging artists who are at the beginning of their career and/or who are currently enrolled at institutions of higher education. It is also for those who are interested in Spanish language repertoire; however, this is not a requirement to participate in the competition.
The winners of the online competition receive a cash prize, and have the opportunity to be featured in the Canto: New Voices Concert, with travel and housing provided if necessary. The inaugural Canto: New Voices Concert, featuring winners from the 2017 competition plus brand new works by three emerging composers, took place on October 6, 2018.
Flutist Diane Grubbe, pianist Eunah Cho, and soprano Virginia Hesse perform at the inaugural Canto: New Voices Concert (October 6, 2018).